When planning a funeral, consider adding some contemporary music that embodies the life and tastes of the deceased. If "Amazing grace" doesn't seem quite fitting, consider something a bit more modern and eclectic.
Seven song choices to consider for a contemporary service are:
- "Dance with my father" by Luther Vandross. The perfect song to pay tribute to a loving father or grandparent, "Dance with my father" by Luther Vandross makes a touching, sentimental song choice for a funeral, service, or memorial.
- "We'll sing in the sunshine" by Gale Garnett. "We'll sing in the sunshine" by Gale Garnett is a folksy tune from 1964, but covered by many contemporary bands since its release, including Dolly Parton, Skeeter Davis, Dean Martin, and even that 70s couple that everyone loved, Sonny and Cher in 1967. This is a song with some meaning and that gives hope- perfect to pay homage to someone dear.
- "November rain" by Guns & Roses. You may not think of Guns & Roses "November Rain" as being a song suited to a funeral, but the lyrics are haunting. This song is basically about loss and grief, and is perfect to play at the funeral of someone who enjoyed rock music during their life.
- "My way" by Frank Sinatra. "My way" by Frank Sinatra or Elvis Presley is another excellent song for a funeral. The lyrics are dramatic and the melody is familiar; it is perfect for paying respect to a someone who lived life on their own terms.
- "My heart will go on" by Celine Dion. There won't be a dry eye in the house when Celine Dion begins to belt-out the lyrics to "My heart will go on", which was also the theme from the blockbuster movie, Titanic. The words are powerful and Dion's voice is magic; this is a glorious song for any service or memorial.
- "Hallelujah" by Leonard Cohen. Leonard Cohen's "Hallelujah" is mesmerizing and the words ring true today, just as they will tomorrow. This song is inspirational and moving, and Cohen's raspy voice brings a sincerity to it that is unsurpassed.
- "Father and son" by Cat Stevens. "Father and Son" by Cat Stevens identifies the struggles that parents and children face over time, and it is the perfect tribute to a parent or child. The music is simple and acoustic, and is a moving choice for a service.
Talk with funeral directors about piping-in these seven classic songs for your loved one's service. Be prepared to provide the music on an MP3-player or compact-disc so that a funeral home like Taylor Funeral Home will be able to honor your music request.